Tuesday, March 17, 2015

A Faith of Her Own, a review


I stopped reading "Amish" novels for awhile.  The plots seemed to always be similar, there was this sense of deja vu.  What I enjoyed most about this book is that it takes me into the Amish lifestyle in a completely different way than anything I have read before.

The Author, Kathleen Fuller, brings us characters who are all having second thoughts about their own ability to live within the limitations of the Amish community.  However, not from a "shunning" perspective as I have read about.  But from the perspective of facing challenges about expectations.

All the scenarios are quite believable.  One young woman has joined the church and has no desire to leave the community, yet does not enjoy the usual skills of cooking, sewing, etc.  Another young woman has not joined the church and is coming to the realization what she feels God is leading her to do would require leaving the community.  A young man has returned who left the community and has now graduated as a veterinarian.

I enjoy novels that when I read them, I am surprised.  I have never thought about that particular trial a person is going through.  This novel does that in a way that kept me interested to the very last page.

I had a somewhat difficult time in the beginning sorting out the various characters but that changed after the first few chapters.  This book was very enjoyable and gave me an entire new perspective of what it means to "grow up Amish".

This book was provided by the publisher for the sake of review but the opinions are my own.

More information can be found at Amazon.com... here.*

*All links to Amazon.com are Associate links.  I thank you.

6 comments:

Vee said...

I like novels that surprise or stretch a person. I have yet to find an "Amish" novel I enjoyed. Entirely too formulaic as you said, but this sounds very interesting. A thoughtful, well explained review!

Scrappy quilter said...

I'm with you. I haven't read an Amish novel for a couple years now. I found them similar and they just didn't grip me like I want a book too. I might try this one.

poggeaux said...

I think we are drawn to the Amish ideal rather than to the actual story.....maybe.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an interesting book...I too have left off reading the Amish novels for awhile for the same reason. Plus time...argh! But this one I want to get. Thanks for sharing about it!!
Elizabeth

patsi @ A Working Pantry said...

Brenda, I'm an Amish novel reader too, but have walked away from them for a season as well. Your post inspires me to seek this one out and give it a try.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

We have friends who are Amish, so it is interesting to us to read some of these books. I feel like the books 'idealize' the Amish life. It has real limitations.

Those who chose to join the church and stay Amish, chose it for many reasons.

Lots I could say but won't.

This books sounds really interesting and realistic.

Deanna